Racing To Save Lives

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

A Purpose For Everything: Jeanette Spears

I found out during our Saturday morning training that quite a few people have very personal motivation to be part of Team in Training. Jeanette, our coach, is one prime example. She has been a cancer survivor the last year and half and just came out of surgery in January.


I moved to Austin in 2000. I didn’t know a soul. Be it conscious or not, I was looking for a place I would fit in. I was always active, but had never participated in any type of formalized athletics since high school. I was blessed to have been introduced to a wonderful group of women who peaked my interest in triathlons and running. It truly became my life.

As I was training for the Danskin triathlon in 2003 I had a serious bicycle accident and shattered my collar bone. I was sidelined for many months. I didn’t want to give up my involvement in this new world I had discovered, so I would just show up for practice even though I couldn’t physically participate. That’s when I began studying the sport and getting certified. I was eventually asked to stay on as a coach. That is how my coaching career began.

In May of 2004 I was diagnosed with Colorectal Cancer. Once again, I was sidelined from participating but still felt compelled to stay involved. I would show up and coach with my chemo pump and iliostomy. The only way they could keep me away was to put me in the hospital.

During this time I met a wonderful person who worked for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. She suggested I look into coaching for Team In Training. What a great opportunity this would be. Not only would I do something I loved but I would be involved with people trying to make a difference in the lives of cancer patients. People say there is a purpose for everything. Maybe this is mine.


jeanette
2/2 Sandie, Brenda, Jeanette, and Bailey

1 Comments:

  • Cancer can be prevent.
    What other causes of Cancer?

    We know that smoking cigarette or chewing tobacco is harmful to our body but why does still indulge in this kind of addiction, Some cancer cause by chewing tobacco its because of the chemicals that contain by tobacco. most common is cancer of lungs and also in mouth, there are many things that we can do to save life and the race is just starting with you.

    Best regards

    www.stopsmokinghabits.com

    By Anonymous stopsmokinghabits, at 9:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home