Racing To Save Lives

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Donating Blood

I went to the APO Blood Drive this evening. They had an abundance of young and energetic nurses manning the station. An interesting change, but they weren't as careful as usual. The girl who did a quick physical on me asked me if I had donated last year. After confirmation, she told me that I had a face that you remember after seeing once.

The guy who took my blood had a little trouble finding the vein. And my blood flow wasn't very cooperative today, causing the nurses to come over and repeatedly ask me if I was alright. I couldn't help laughing; I have been donating blood every chance I get since turning 17. In Taiwan, biking to the blood mobile every two months was one of my favorite things to do. Here, I go whenever I see APO holding a drive. When I went back to Taiwan last year, my birthday gift to myself was a trip to the blood donation center. I could never adequately explain why I do this; I feel compelled.

Four different nurses asked me for my weight. I asked the last one why and he said because I'm thin.* I reassured him I wasn't, but looked in the mirror after I came home. And guys, I do believe that the white Team in Training jersey has a slimming effect. Where can I order a couple more of these shirts?

I also thought about asking the nurses and APO volunteers milling about to donate for my cause. I tried voicing my desire several times, but ended up aborting midway. Fundraising is not as easy as it seems on paper.

*You have to weigh at least 110lbs to donate.

2 Comments:

  • Wow...what a nice blog! It's awesome that you're recording and sharing all your experiences and thoughts about the marathon!

    You have my admiration for donating blood, I've always been terrified of needles. >.<

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:46 PM  

  • gasp! you're so brave!
    think of all the blood that you've donated altogether... wow...
    sigh... donating blood has always seemed kinda scary to me and especially since i'm not too fond of needles...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home