Racing To Save Lives

Saturday, February 25, 2006

Saturday Morning #4

My routine has become four days of endurance training and three rest days nestled between. Coincidentally, the latter occurs on days I attend fellowship, church, and discipleship class.

Wanting to give Angela a break, I arranged to carpool with Holly and Joe Ann this morning. Unfortunately, I set my cell phone on vibrate the night before and completely missed their call. Jumping out of bed at exactly 7am, I shook mom awake and asked demanded she be my heroine. With 20-some years of parenting behind her, she barely bats an eye as she grabs her keys and slips on her jacket. Vague directions withstanding, she hands me off to the team when they're about ½ mile in.

Everyone cheers.

I sheepishly grin and greet everyone. As adrenaline pumps through me, I make my way up to the front to join Shae, my mentor, and Kerry. Shae is a history graduate student at St. Edward's and is planning to take the Foreign Service Written Exam and serve in Japan. Kerry is another Longhorn alumni and former lawyer. She's currently a full time mom that has her hands full with two adorable toddlers.

The weather was cool; a perfect day to try out the eight mile scenic route Jeanette plotted out for us. The neighborhoods we pass through include gorgeous lakeside properties that we ooo and ahh over as we pass by. The sky suddenly darkened and the air becomes dank. And it rained. Poured like heaven had a plumbing issue. There's no place we can take shelter under, hence we grit our teeth and continue along. You know you're soaked when your undergarments are dripping under three layers of clothing. We are quite happy to see Jeanette's car, i.e. mobile water station, when we have about two miles left. Shae's PB&J sandwich hit the spot just right!

With Jeanette's blessing, Shae and Kerry shorten the route by a mile and we breeze into the parking lot. Kerrie takes me back home, where I take her advice and enjoy a long, hot shower.

geneshae
2/2 Shae and her husband, Gene
kerrie
3/25 Kerry and her children

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home