Racing To Save Lives

Thursday, February 02, 2006

How I Became Involved

Let me fill you in on how I became involved with Team in Training. I happened across their website when I was looking for information on marathons. Per habit, I filled out a request for more information. They happily obliged with a colorful brochure, but I promptly forgot about it after a cursory glance.

The New Year crept up without much warning and it was again time to think up resolutions I would never complete. I was on instant messenger at the time and my friend laughed at my futile efforts. In an effort to prove him wrong, I told him "I'm going to run a marathon!" With the cat out of the bag, I had to look for a better motivator than the procrastinator in me. I recalled Team in Training, so I signed up for an information session on January 20th. When the day finally arrived, I had talked myself out of the endeavor and only went because I didn't have time to un-RSVP myself.

As I sat in that room full of strangers, I found it hard to share in the excitement. I was getting ready to sneak out when Sandie sat down next to me and let me pepper her with questions about the program. My two biggest concerns were being out of shape and fundraising. Sandie, a dedicated walker, introduced me to Jeanette and Angela, the two walk team coaches, who said that they would be more than happy to train me to walk or run my way to the finish line. She also fervently proclaimed that fundraising can be accomplished. I was convinced and signed up right then and there for the April 29th Country Music ½ Marathon in Nashville, TN. Not an entire marathon because I believe the coaches when they say that I need more than three months to go from couch potato to pavement grinder. I will consider flying to San Diego to run the Rock 'n' Roll Marathon if I make it through the half.

kickoffparty
2/2 Kickoff Party @ Hyatt

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home