Racing To Save Lives

Monday, April 03, 2006

Best Job Ever: Mike Kwok

Mike sent me an email saying he'd like to support me right after I wrote my first fundraising blog entry. We've only talked online and never met in person, though we do have a mutual friend. I had to ask him where his enthusiasm came from:

I used to work at a large cancer hospital in Houston (MD Anderson). It was my first job and I can say it has been my favorite. As I walked around the hospital, it was humbling to think that everyone that I passed in the hallways was touched by cancer in some way. They are patients, family members, and friends. Since then, I have been very aware that good health is not something that should be taken for granted.

When I commented on what a large sum he donated to a virtual stranger (pun intended), he openly shared his thought process.

I was thinking about how much to donate last night. When I went to the website, I saw several donations. Of course, it pumped up my competitive juices. I guess it's common for guys to think like that. Earlier that night, I was reading CS Lewis's "Mere Christianity." The chapter talked about charitable giving and he said something interesting. I had never heard this before. He said it's not really "giving" until it hurts you. Maybe not "hurt," more like "it takes away from other things." So he said if you gave $5, you may not really think too much about it. But if you give... say $50 to a charity... that is more of a gift, because it may mean that you won't be able to go eat a nice meal this weekend or go to the movies til your next paycheck. Whether you agree with that or not... I can say that God has really blessed me over the years as far as my career goes. And so, as you earn more, you should give away more as well.

I was also reminded of a friend from college. The very FIRST time I met him at Bible study, he announced to everyone that he had been diagnosed with cancer. He was in the same field as me, but several years older. I asked him a lot of questions about what work is like and about how hard this professor would be. It amazed me to see my friend be so cheerful and bold for the Lord. I was ashamed that I was so healthy but yet my faith so shaky. After about 2 1/2 years... after many treatments of chemo and radiation, my friend passed away from this life, into the arms of the Lord. I was so hoping that he could see me graduate.

So my donation was partly brought on by what I had read, but more so in the memory of my friend. =)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home