Racing To Save Lives

Thursday, March 30, 2006

Cancer in The Family: Greg Yuh

There are times when I rant about the impersonal turn relationships have taken with the uprising of the Internet. We greet each other with, "I never see you online," when we meet and prefer reading blogs over talking in person. However, I would not be honest if I didn't tell you that I've met some amazing people through the Internet. I started reading Greg Yuh's blog last summer and his intermittent writings never fail to inspire me. He lost two family members this last year, so I asked him if I could share his writings. He said:

Cancer seems to run in my family... my mother beat breast cancer when I was in elementry school, and my grandfather battled it for the past two years. My father had bypass surgery about 12 years ago and passed away following his second bypass surgery last July.

Cancer is an awful thing that robs people of their life. Although my mom beat it, she suffered a lot and endured many days of pain and sorrow. She is a survivor... My dad was called bacause it was his time but he lived a life worth living... I'll always be proud of the life he lived and the lessons he taught to all that came to know him. Good luck on your race... Greg


Here is his web-eulogy for his grandfather:

Another Good Bye...

My grandfather's funeral was Saturday, March 11, 2006. He passed away February 10, 2006 in Korea, cremated and brought to the states for burial. He is buried in the same cemetery as my father, right above him. Burial plots are arranged with grandpa and grandma on top and pop and mom right below. Both males are buried with empty places for their wives. My grandfather battled terminal cancer for about two years and is finally in heaven with my father (in both sense of the word). Unfortunately, he lived long enough to bury his first born.

My younger brother and I lived with my grandparents in Korea for almost five years before coming to the states. When my parents immigrated, they brought my sister and older brother with them, but had to leave my younger brother and I behind. The men that shaped my life are both in heaven waiting for the rest of us to join them.

I was a bad son to both and gave each moments of frustration, pain and heartache. However, they never stopped loving me and praying for me and in their prayers God answered. Prayers of the faithful and righteous men will not go unanswered for God is a loving God.


And is his web-eulogy for his father:

"My father did not tell me how to live; he lived, and let me watch."
Rev. Han Gu Yuh. Went to join Christ in heaven on July 18, 2005 at 12:30.
Love you dad!!! May you be proud of the person I am and will become...

1 Comments:

  • You know....this makes me think about writing something about how Cancer has affected my family too.....

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home